Scarborough Fair Stuffing
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 30 min
2 cloves of garlic; finely minced
1 large shallot; finely minced
2-4 leeks; white part only, cleaned rinsed, cut into 1/4" half moons
3/4 cup; finely diced celery
3 tablespoons; total of minced parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme
8 tablespoons; of unsalted butter
2 tablespoons; olive oil
1/3 cup; brandy
1 3/4 cup; of chicken broth
1 box (12 oz.) of Mrs. Cubbison's Traditional Seasoned Stuffing
16 ounces; chicken and apple sausage (uncooked) if cooked-simply add to final mixture before baking
16 oz; chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For the sausage: In a skillet with a lid, poach the uncooked sausage in 1/2- 3/4" water until the water evaporates (about 15 minutes). Uncover and continue to cook the sausage until golden brown (may need a tablespoon of oil) about 6-8 minutes. Allow to cool, then slice 1/4" pieces.
- For the dressing: Heat oven to 350°F. In a large skillet, melt butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the minced shallots and garlic until translucent, then add the leeks. Once the leeks are translucent and starting to turn golden brown, remove.
- Place the lovely leek mixture in a large mixing bowl, set aside.
- In the same skillet, add a tablespoon of butter and quickly toast the 2 packets of Mrs. Cubbison's dressing. Add this to the leek mixture. Slowly add the chicken broth and mix gently. Once incorporated, add the sausages and minced herbs. (Reserving a teaspoon of herbs to garnish the finished, baked dish).
- Butter a 3 quart casserole dish and gently fold mixture. Dot with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. If it needs more chicken broth, add some.
- Bake uncovered on middle rack of preheated 350°F oven for 30 minutes until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Sprinkle with the reserved chopped herbs and serve.
This recipe comes courtesy of:
Susan Silverberg - 2nd Place Winner - Mrs. Cubbison's Recipe Contest 2010
Los Angeles Trade Tech Culinary School's 13th Annual Student Chef Thanksgiving Stuffing Cook-Off