Apricot Stuffed Cornish Game Hens
Prep Time: 35 min
Cook Time: 45 min
4 whole Cornish game hens (about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds each)
1/4 cup; butter or margarine
1/2 cup; silvered almonds
1 cup; chopped onion
1/2 cup; chopped celery
1 box (12 oz.) of Mrs. Cubbison's Traditional Seasoned Stuffing or Seasoned Cornbread Stuffing
1 cup; chicken broth
1/2 cup; chopped dried apricots
2 teaspoons; chopped parsley
2/3 cup; apricot nectar or orange marmalade
1/4 cup; melted butter or margarine
1/4 cup; honey
1 tablespoon; lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon; cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish and set aside.
- To make the stuffing, place the butter or margarine in a large skillet, and melt over medium heat.
- Add the almonds, and toss with the butter until lightly browned. Remove the nuts and set aside.
- Add the onion and celery to the butter remaining in the skillet, and sauce for about 5 minutes, or until tender. Add the stuffing mix. Then gradually stir in the chicken broth, adding only enough to lightly moisten the stuffing.
- Stir in the apricots, parsley, and reserved almonds. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the stuffing to cool thoroughly.
- Empty the cavities of the hens, and rinse and dry inside and out. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the hens, inside and out. Then fill the cavities lightly with the stuffing, sew or skewer shut, and truss. Transfer the leftover stuffing to the prepared casserole dish.
- To make the glaze, place all of the glaze ingredients in a medium-sized bowl, and stir to mix. Set aside.
- Place the hens breast side down on a rack in a roasting pan, and roast for 15 minutes. Using tongs, carefully turn the hens breast side up, and spoon the glaze over the hens. Continue basting every 10 to 15 minutes, cooking the hens for a total of 45 minutes, or until they are tender and golden, and a thermometer inserted in the thigh shows a temperature to 180°F.
- While the hens are cooking, bake the stuffing casserole, covered, alongside the hens for 15 minutes. Uncover the dish, and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the total crisp. Serve the stuffing with the game hens.
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste