Tuscan Tomato Soup
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 30 min
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups diced onion
2 tsp. crushed garlic
4 cups vegetable broth
1 (28-oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 bag Mrs. Cubbison's Garlic & Butter Focaccia Croutons
1 Tbsp. sea salt
2 tsps. freshly ground black pepper
1 cup coarsely chopped basil leaves
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- In large stockpot, sauté onion in oil until almost translucent. Add garlic and sauté one minute longer; stir in broth and tomatoes. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, set aside 1/2 cup Mrs. Cubbison's Garlic & Butter Focaccia Croutons made from Artisan Bread. Re-seal the bag of croutons. Using your fingers, coarsely crush the croutons in the bag. Do not over crush.
- Add the croutons to soup to thicken. Stir in salt and pepper. Continue cooking 5 minutes longer; stir often to avoid sticking.
- Turn off heat and stir in fresh basil; cover. Let soup sit for 10 minutes to bring out all the flavors.
- Ladle soup into bowls and drizzle olive oil across the top of the soup. Garnish with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and remaining uncrushed croutons. Serve immediately.
Feel free to add sliced sundried tomatoes for a bit more of an authentic Italian flavor!