Flavors of Fall Savory Bread Pudding
Prep Time: 40 min
Cook Time: 60 min
1/4 cup; unsalted butter
1 small red onion, minced
1 pound; pork or turkey Italian sausage (casings removed)
1 can (29 ounce); solid pack pumpkin
2 cups; small curd cottage cheese
5 ounces; grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon; dried rubbed sage
1 teaspoon; grated nutmeg
6 cups; half & half
8 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon; ground chipotle powder
2 boxes of Mrs. Cubbison's Traditional Seasoned Stuffing
- Melt the butter in a large skillet.
- Turn the heat to low and add the minced onions. Cook, stirring frequently until the onions are soft. Add the sausage and continue to cook until the sausage is browned and crumbly. Allow it to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile start preparing the pumpkin filling. In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, sage, and nutmeg. Add the cooled sausage and onions to the pumpkin mixture.
- In another large bowl, whisk the half and half, eggs and chipotle powder.
- To assemble the casserole, cover the bottom of a 4 quart casserole dish with 1 box of Mrs. Cubbison's Traditional Seasoned Stuffing. Use a ladle to cover the dressing with half of the egg mixture. Gently spoon the pumpkin mixture over the bottom layer. Cover the pumpkin layer with the remaining 1 box of Mrs. Cubbison's Traditional Seasoned Stuffing. Ladle the remaining egg mixture over the top of the casserole. You may need to do this slowly as the egg mixture will need some time to soak into the dressing. Refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake for one hour or until the custard is set and the top of the pudding is light golden brown. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
This recipe comes courtesy of:
Marshall High School - 3rd Place Winner - Mrs. Cubbison's Recipe Contest 2011
Careers through Culinary Arts Program's 1st Annual High School Thanksgiving Stuffing Cook-Off