Sweet & Savory Southern Bourbon Cupcake
Prep Time: 1 hr
Cook Time: 20 min
1/2 cup; shallot, diced
1/2 cup; celery, diced
1 cup; chanterelle mushrooms, diced
2 cups; duck breast, diced
1 cup; rendered duck fat
1 cup; duck fat, diced
3/4 cup; dried cherries (soaked in bourbon)
1 1/2 stick of butter
1 organic fuji apple, diced
1 asian pear, diced
1/4 tsp; fresh sage
1/4 cup; dark cocoa powder
2 cups; turkey stock
1/2 cup; heavy cream
1/4 cup; brown sugar
1/2 cup; pure Kentucky bourbon
4 eggs, whole
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 lb; proscuitto
1 box (12 oz.) of Mrs. Cubbison's Traditional Seasoned Stuffing
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Soak Cherries in 1/4 cup bourbon.
- Sauté shallot, celery in sauté pan with diced duck fat and 1/2 stick of butter. After the shallot and celery are starting to brown, add in the chanterelles & fuji apple. Sauté until slightly tender.
- Add in the butter and wait until it is melted before taking it off the flame.
- Sauté the diced duck breast for 1–2 minutes, just to take the rawness out of the breast.
- In a large bowl, pour Mrs. Cubbison's Traditional Seasoned Stuffing mix and add in all the sautéed ingredients from above, along with the rendered duck fat and 1 cup turkey stock. Stuffing should be moist but not wet.
- Take the cherries out of the bourbon and add to the stuffing mixture. Add the diced Asian pear here (raw). Mix all of the ingredients until nice and combined.
- In another bowl add eggs, heavy cream, cocoa powder and sage. Pour this mixture into the stuffing mixture. Now the stuffing mixture should be somewhat moist.
- Scoop mixture into a large, greased cupcake pan. Bake over a water bath on middle rack of preheated 350°F oven until stuffing mixture sets and internal temperature reaches 165°F, about 20 minutes.
- While the stuffing cupcakes are cooking, prepare the sauce.
- In a sauce pan, mix 1/2 stick of butter with 1/2 cup dark brown sugar. Once the sugar is melted with the butter add in 1/4 to 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Mix until it starts to form a caramel sauce. Once it has reached the caramel sauce stage, add in 1/2 cup of pure Kentucky bourbon. Once the bourbon is incorporated, add in 1/4 cup of turkey stock. Mix and continue stirring until you have a thickened sauce.
- Cool sauce and put into a squirt bottle for distribution.
- Take Stuffing cupcakes out of the oven and pop them out of the pan.
- On each plate squirt the bourbon sauce into a beautiful circle and then place Stuffing cupcakes on the sauce.
- Top each Stuffing cupcake with a little more sauce and then sprinkle crispy Proscuitto on top of the cupcake.
This recipe comes courtesy of:
Laurie Worthy - 1st Place Winner - Mrs. Cubbison's Recipe Contest 2011
Los Angeles Trade Tech Culinary School's 14th Annual Student Chef Thanksgiving Stuffing Cook-Off